The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the Namibian government, U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Thursday, November 28, 2013

How to Eat an Orange

A friend of mine recently wrote a hilarious post about not posting enough and it got me thinking… I need to stop looking at posts as being this terribly daunting task of telling you every little detail of every day or every week of my time in Peace Corps.  Being concise has never been a strong point of mine and my folder of all the posts I have started is a great example – only 11 have actually been posted out of 20.

So as a fun little welcome back to my blog, for you and for me, I’ve decided to provide you with step by step instructions (pictures included!) on how to eat an orange, Nam style!

Step 1:  Soften it up by… throwing it on the ground, rolling it around, and squeezing it. 

Kids from the 2013 Diversity Tour showing me how it's done!

 
  

Step 2:  Make a hole, the size of a dime, at the top.  I find that the easiest way to do this is just to use your teeth.

Make sure you use THIS side… 


And not THIS side (Trust me... I've learned the hard way.  If you make the hole on this side eventually the other side will get a split and you'll get dripped on during step 3!).


Like this!


Step 3:  Enjoy the juice! 



Steps 4 & 5:  In the words of Mimi (left above) & Ndina (right above), “Make like this, to eat like this.” 




Step 6:  Compost the peels in your compost bucket… but don’t forget to hold your nose!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment